In ancient times, Alfeizerão was a settlement on the coast of the immense bay of São Martinho do Porto. The silting of the bay made the sea recede, leaving an extensive plain that, as the salt was being eliminated, was used for agriculture.
Today, on a small forested hill of Alfeizerão, two kilometers from the sea, are still visible the rings where once the ships were attached.
With a discreet image and life, the village gained some visibility in the country thanks to the special confection of a much appreciated cake - the famous "pão-de-ló"
Dating from the end of the 14th century, this temple suffered several modifications, only keeping today its Rococo facade. The earthquake of 1755 ruined it, and only recently it was recovered, but losing its gilded decoration.